Getting a Birth Certificate
Filing a birth certificate in the state of Georgia for a homebirth is a relatively painless process! To make sure your baby has a legal birth certificate:
- Fill out this birth worksheet and give it to your midwife
- She will send you an official copy to look over and check for data errors, please look at it!
- She will electronically file it with the state of Georgia. This must be done within 5 days of birth.
- If you want a social security number, the card will be sent automatically.
- At that point your certificate should be ready for pickup.
- You can pick the birth certificate up at any Vital Records office in Georgia.
- You can order the birth certificate online but please note that there is an $8 processing fee for convenience. http://dph.georgia.gov/birth-records
- You can print the request form online to order the birth certificate and mail it in to the State. http://dph.georgia.gov/birth-records